No Poo Dare - Your Guide to No Poo

After literally going through 'rough' and 'tangling' days, here's what I learned and would like to share with you -my guide to going no poo.

WHY GO NO POO?
Because apparently, the detergents in almost ALL shampoos have chemicals that strip your scalp of it's natural oils. That done, your scalp goes into a combat mode and produces more sebum to make up for whats lost to maintain the natural balance. This in turn, imbalances the natural balance and creates a cycle of stripping and producing, which does no good for your hair.

CHECKLIST:
1.  First and foremost, you need to know what kind of water you use. We get hard water...I found out the hard way :(
2.  Know your hair type. I have an oily scalp and dry hair. That means I have to use a shampoo that's meant for my scalp...preferably a cleansing one and a conditioner that helps my hair.
3.  There is going to be a transition period. For some it may be a couple of weeks...for others like me, it could be more than a month. In the meanwhile, your hair is going to look and feel like a carpet.
4.  You might want to make sure you won't have anything very important happening during this transitional time like a wedding or such coz you know...you can't leave your carpet behind.

BEFORE you begin:
1.  Don't consider going cold turkey. I know that's meant for something else...but with so many chemicals in shampoos, I guess we can safely use the phrase. I went cold turkey and you'd not want to.
2.  Some say you could get a trim before you begin. Your choice.
3.  Let's say your shampoo is half or more through. Fill the rest with water and continue using it by diluting it more and more each time you use it. That way, you are slowly reducing the shampoo...and won't miss the feel of the lather as much when you ditch it completely.

HOW TO:
1.  The general method would be washing your hair with baking SODA (make sure you don't use baking powder). Take 1-2 tbsp baking soda and dilute in 1 cup distilled warm water. The water will get cloudy and is ready for use. From what I've read, baking soda is good for normal, dry and combined scalp.
OR
You could use honey. Tried that too...and liked it. Mix 1 tbsp honey in 1/2 cup warm water.
2.  Wet your hair.  Pour baking soda solution evenly over your scalp and run your fingers so as to 'wash' your scalp for a couple of minutes. The solution DOES NOT need to get to the ends of your hair.
3.  Rinse. Well. Very well.
4.  Dilute about 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar with about half a cup of distilled water.  Rinse hair as you would with a conditioner.
5.  Feel the difference. Repeat once a week or every four-five days...your choice.

And please let me know how this turns out for you.

Two months of No Poo for me. It's August and I miss my shampoo. I miss the bounce, the softness and the fragrances.  If you want to know about my week-by-week experiences, you can find them here:

Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4


Comments

Popular Posts